View Single Post
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2016-11-22, 17:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Well, yes. Exactly.

That's not only true for 2016 Apple, by the way.

But then, why on earth are you an admin of an Apple-focused board if you hold such a simplistic view on the matter? It's not like you couldn't have applied this argument in 2006. Or 1996.
Because they used to make a nice, well rounded ecosystem to work in, where you could focus on just getting work done.

Quote:
No, they probably shouldn't, because aside from looking nicer, the only way they can differentiate that, and it's quite a stretchy one, is to build in a dock. Which brings with it the typical AIO flaws — do you throw away your monitor every time you need different ports on your dock? Thunderbolt 4? USB 4.7? HDMI 3.1b? But wait, didn't that monitor work fine and would've lasted a decade? Monitors are a commodity product. Get a goddamn $99 24-inch 1080p display or two and three and you're settled. Or $299 4K if need be.

Yes, a Retina desktop display. For three hundred bucks. You think Apple wants to compete in such a cutthroat bullshit market? What do they bring to the table?
Apple has never had a problem keeping older hardware going in their lineup. I'm sure some USB 3, TB, basically you could have a single USB-C cable connect to your monitor, and have your useful ports from there.

Given they offer laptops with a single USB-C port, and all the stupidity that comes with that, offering a monitor work around would be a nice touch. Apple has never felt a need to compete with anyone based on hardware price, I'm sure they wouldn't for a monitor either.

As an example of why, there have been random problems with people having huge CPU spikes when using external monitors with their laptops. What causes it? No idea, and no one will take responsibility because Apple will point to the monitor maker, the monitor maker will point at Apple, and the customer is screwed. There was a certain elegance to being able to say "It's all your shit, it should work properly."

http://apple.stackexchange.com/quest...ternal-monitor

It appears that disabling some misc kext will resolve the issue, but this is *why* you buy a Mac in the first place, so you don't have to dive into the guts of your machine to figure out why plugging in a monitor brings every core up to 100% and your machine to a halt.

http://apple.stackexchange.com/quest...ternal-monitor

Quote:
But MS does make quality machines now, because they're now in the position where their 90s-era license-the-OS model is beginning to fail.
Failing in this case is defined at 89.25% market share?

Quote:
I think concepts like Apple giving certain segments of the Mac to select partners is quite plausible. Are they going to make servers again? Probably not. So let Lenovo make them, or HPE. Or someone.
They didn't outsource their book production. I don't see them letting go of the Mac line any time soon.

Instead, they just ignore it and wait for it to die.

Quote:
Photos, Maps, Messages.
They have seen improvements, but in all three cases, weren't those just improvements to bring the Apple products to par with, or just under the quality of free competitor's products?

In the mean time, they totally dropped the ball on Pages, Numbers, Keynote, Final Cut, Aperture, iTunes, there are probably others.

Quote:
They've just brought a major new feature to their computer hardware, alongside an extensive API that's thought out so well it comes with its own human interface guidelines, as well as updates on day one to plenty of their first-party apps from Safari over Final Cut Pro X to Xcode and even Terminal.

But it's languished. Sure.
That's one new feature in three year's time.

Oh, and while you got that neato touch bar, we took away the SD port, the HDMI port, standard USB ports, and Magsafe, and we soldered your storage to the MB!

Quote:
No?
Has Apple gained any market share in the mobile world? They appear perpetually stuck under 20%.

Quote:
Leading? Let's see.

They have, by a long shot, the fastest mobile single-threaded CPUs. They're extending their lead year after year.
Yes!

Quote:
They continue to have the best $1,000 laptop money can buy, and the best $2,500 one.
Based on?

Many of these machines are technically superior on multiple facets.

http://www.techradar.com/news/mobile...aptops-1304361

Quote:
They have the most sensible integration of mobile and desktop operating systems. Each to their own soul, yet interacting with each other.
Based on, and in comparison to what?

Apple are the only ones with a mobile/desktop OS combo to speak of, given MS's lack of penetration into the mobile world.

However you expand that definition a tiny bit and look at Android integration between their MacOS/Windows apps. and their mobile devices, it's pretty good.

Quote:
Their accessibility stack is killer, and is perhaps one of the strongest signs Cook is more than a bean-counter.
I don't think that carries any weight with consumers.

Quote:
Their smartwatch is still early-adopters-only, if you ask me, but undoubtedly dominates the market.
Their smartwatch is a problem in search of a solution.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me