View Single Post
Windswept
On Pacific time

2007-01-06, 14:44

I was just googling for information about the London Stock Exchange and found this article.

http://topics.nytimes.com/top/refere...inline=nyt-org

Quote:
Nasdaq Starts Push for Majority Control of London Market

By HEATHER TIMMONS

Nasdaq officially makes $5.3 billion hostile bid for London Stock Exchange; stockholders will initially have until Jan 11 to tender their shares to Nasdaq, which is offering 12.43 pounds ($24.49) apiece; Nasdaq already owns 28.75 percent of London market and needs simple majority, or just one share over 50 percent, to take control; it can extend deadline once, to Feb 10; London exchange quickly rebuffs bid.
I haven't been paying attention to stock market issues for some time, and therefore was surprised to find that the Nasdaq is making a hostile takeover bid for the London Stock Exchange.

That seems so strange somehow, that a group of investors could actually take over the stock exchange of another nation. Weird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Dobbs
Ok, Im 19, I want to invest a little cash now in stock. I know that AAPL is only on the American Stock Exchange, Nasdaq right? Can you buy stock in AAPL when you are not in that country?

I know these might be utterly ridiculous questions, but I have never stepped foot in the investment world.
I had no idea you were only 19. Whoa! You sound... older.

Your questions are not at 'all' ridiculous. Investing in the stock market can be pretty mystifying, and there are indeed *many* questions that anyone would have when getting started.

There's really no escaping the fact that each individual investor must do his homework: start reading about investing as much as possible, start observing the market, start tuning in regularly to financial channels for investment talk shows and discussion groups.

However, if you're mostly just interested in buying one stock for now, you'll still need to read up on the process and on what you have to do to get an account set up. The fact that the one stock you're interested in is a 'foreign' stock, makes it a bit trickier.

The first thing you need to do is to find a good brokerage company - one that has excellent reviews as a business organization, and good prices for online stock purchases. Also check into what fees are charged for maintaining your account.