View Single Post
kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-09-10, 23:32

Okay. So Grey built a prototype next to mine and I like the idea. It does give a much nicer view of the Nether and is less expensive in total resources since there are less "rings" and that means less glowstone.

I took his ideas back to my server and mocked up another arm, but made a few additional changes.

1) I wrapped the rings in 100% quarts for the sake of continuity. I think it looks much nicer while still keeping the whole "mixed materials" look what with the stone walkway.

2) Rather than going with grey's suggestion to "hang" the rings every 20 blocks, I chose to hang every ring (every 10 blocks) and like the look.

3) I added a piece of quartz to the ceiling where the chains hang to give the appearance of an anchor.

4) I also prototyped a new Spawn Portal. The portal is cubed (4 portals) with a portal facing each arm. I know from trial and error in the AN map that multiple portals in close-quarters will all map to the same over world portal. Thus, all 4 of these should map to Spawn in the over-world. Also, I wrapped the entire spawn in a cube of Obsidian about 15x15x15. I really like the way it looks on both the inside and outside. It gives kind of an eerie look as you walk from this dark thing out into the well-lit arms.

Some new pics:

Quote:

Looking up, you can see the 10-block ring spacing as well as the ceiling anchors for the chains. Also note the all-quartz rings.
Quote:

Looking back toward the unfinished Spawn Cube.
Quote:

Looking down on the Spawn Cube.
Quote:

The 3x3 set of 4 Spawn portals, all linking to the same over-world Spawn portal. All this sits on a platform 5 blocks above the floor of the Spawn Cube and is surrounded by glass rail.
Quote:

A view looking past the rail into the bottom of the Spawn Cube.
Quote:

I think this is the best angle to view the prototype. The tube appears to be suspended from the ceiling, supported by the rings (placed every 10 blocks), and has a very nice, symmetrical look.
Edit: Apparently, I wrapped the rings in "quarts". Who knew glass jars could be so useful?

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)

Last edited by kscherer : 2014-09-11 at 09:57.