Thread: iOS/iPadOS 14
View Single Post
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2020-07-10, 07:44

Just put public beta 1 (identical build number to developer beta 2) on my main iPhone.

The new widgets seem like a bit of a wonky transition. I'm also a bit disappointed you can't, in wiggle mode, pinch to change their size. You apparently have to delete and re-add?

The batteries widget now exists in three sizes. That's nice, but all of them seem to be worse than the previous one. I don't like the circular UI in the square variants, which leaves the wide one, which is almost like the old one, except now it doesn't autosize vertically but always takes up… six rows? Who has five additional devices connected that all report their battery status like this?

(edit)

OK, a lot of these limitations are just strange, like they only went through half the process.

So there's a new UI to show all home screens, a bit like what used to be in iTunes. Cool. But…

The new widgets, which can be moved to any screen, seem to kind of invite the notion of having topical screens. A bit like using multiple watch faces on the watch for different times of day (sleep, work, activity, etc.). So I wanted to make a Health + Activity one, right?

Well, first off, I can't really insert a new screen. I can only append at the end. And I can't then move that entire screen closer to the front; I can only, apparently, toggle entire screens on or off.

OK, fine, I'll rearrange them the hard way — make a new screen at the very end, and start moving things in there. Oooh, I can add this new widget there. Nice. Ew, I can't add this old widget there (that'll probably become moot as apps modernize their widget implementation). So I got the one widget, and I can't have the other widget. Fine. But now let's start adding apps.

Oops — limited there as well. You still can't move icons to arbitrary slots on that screen. That made sense in the old days where it was just a truckload of icons, but now, with App Library and widgets in there, why would you have this limitation?

I do like that you can quickly scroll through the pages now. I don't think there was a way to do that before (other than quickly getting to the first page)?

Last edited by chucker : 2020-07-10 at 12:22.