View Single Post
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2007-07-19, 20:17

I saw it today, as promised.

The Potter geek approves.

We caught a one-o'-clock matinee, and we entered the theatre twenty minutes early - with the intentions of avoiding crowds. It was to no avail - the theatre was already packed when we entered. Luckily, there was a group of perfect seats in the middle of the theatre that were inexplicably unoccupied. It was like...magic.

We saw it in IMAX, so we got to see the "explosive finale" in 3D. I haven't seen a movie in IMAX in a long time, and it was the first IMAX 3D movie I had ever seen. I really liked it, but at the same time I'm glad the entire movie wasn't 3D - I think it would have given me a headache.

I don't know if I've just made peace with the HP films or not (I hated the previous ones), but I think this one was the best one yet. The book is even longer than Goblet of Fire was, but the pace doesn't feel nearly as rushed as that film was. The cuts were less obvious, too. Well...

Spoiler (click to toggle):
The scene at the Department of Mysteries is probably my single favorite part of the books, and they cut a lot of it out. They basically reduced the department to two rooms, and they completely ommitted a rather important one. Oh wells.

But overall, it was well done. Coming from me - both an incredibly picky HP fanboy and an incredibly picky future filmmaker - that means a lot, I think.

I think you can measure how much I enjoyed a movie by how much soda is left in my cup afterwards. If I actually leave the theatre to get a refill, I hated the movie. If I empty my cup, it was okay. But if I completely forget that my soda exists ten minutes into the film, that means it was probably alright.

OotP was one of those "why the hell did I spend $5.50 on a large" movies.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong