Thread: Pokémon GO
View Single Post
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2016-07-09, 17:41

I went with red, but I'm quickly regretting it. Seems there are a bunch of reds already owning all the local gyms, and IIUC it's easier to take on a gym that's an opposing team. You get to use 6 instead of 1 pokémon then, is that right?

edit: After much more reading, I clearly misunderstood how the gyms were supposed to work. Chock that up to there being no good in-game explanation.

The app is unstable as hell, and it's incredibly frustrating. I can't tell how much is the app's fault versus the overloaded servers' fault, but when I went for a walk this morning (~10 AM EDT) the app crashed so often I only successfully kept about 1/3 of the pokémon I should have caught. If I had a freeze/crash counter, it would probably be nearing a hundred today.

The UI is definitely weird. I'm disappointed that there are no decent good instructions for how to actually do anything. I find myself browsing subreddits with FAQs to piece it all together, and I still don't know why the heck I keep losing so quickly at the gym to a rival who is weaker or roughly equal to my specs.

It's an unbelievable drain on the battery. If I didn't have a portable external battery, I would never realistically be able to play it. I'm playing on an old 5S and the general performance (ignoring the battery drain and constant freezes/crashing) is pretty smooth.

Honestly, I'd rate it 2/5 stars today. I hope the devs are furiously trying to address the stability and server overload issues. I'm persistently pushing through because I really like the idea and novelty (I've know about but never gotten hooked on AR games) even though the implementation is borderline hostile.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.