View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-12, 16:27

If you can't trust a judge...

Quote:
A Maryland judge accused of using a hidden video camera to record children in a bathroom at his fishing cabin died of an apparent self-inflicted gunshot Friday as federal agents were moving in to arrest him, authorities said.
Damn, what a sordid tale. But I won't lie...I kinda like that he opted to spare everyone the usual teary-eyed, quiver-lipped press conference, with all the hollow apologies and "I've let my family down, and I'm currently seeking therapy and counseling" boilerplate.

Quote:
Jonathan Gray Newell, 50, served as a circuit court judge in Caroline County on the state’s Eastern Shore. Criminal records unsealed this week revealed that when Newell was first questioned by investigators at his cabin in July, he was allowed to go to his bedroom to ostensibly charge his mobile phone but instead is alleged to have ingested an SD memory card he had furtively removed from the camera.

“The investigator heard a loud, distinguishable, ‘crunch,’ sound from the area of Newell’s mouth,” an FBI agent wrote in a criminal complaint. “After another minute or two, the investigator heard the same ‘crunch’ again from Newell’s mouth, followed by Newell immediately reaching for and drinking from a cup located on his dresser.”
The guy ate the camera's memory card, with law enforcement in the room (or very near by).

I'm no legal expert/analyst, but my guess is - stay with me here - that he was maybe trying to hide something?

Just a theory...

Quote:
Born in Chestertown, Md., Newell earned a philosophy degree from Washington College and a law degree from the Washington & Lee University School of Law, according to state records. He served as public defender in Caroline County, a prosecutor in Kent County and then, in 2003, became the top prosecutor in Caroline County.

He served that post for about 14 years.

“Newell focused on felony drug, sex offense and child abuse cases, plus a dozen murder cases,” wrote the Times Record of Denton, Md.

He became a judge in 2016.
This is why I put no occupation/career, social standing, political affiliation, education levels/degrees, professed religious beliefs, etc. above others, or anything else. "Oh, he/she wouldn't do that...they're a known, well-respected [fill in the blank] with 20 years of [fill in the blank] at the highest [fill in the blank], working closely with the [fill in the blank]!"

Oh, okay. That he was a self-taught pedo-artisan and a grandmaster in the diddler arts the entire time can't also be true?

Quote:
Investigators searched the cabin, Newell’s home in Henderson, his truck, boat and office, seizing “numerous digital devices” — including a Toshiba external hard drive inside a safe in a den in the Henderson home, according to court records.

That device “revealed numerous videos of minor males showering,” the FBI wrote.

Investigators spoke with nine teenagers who had been to Newell’s cabin, home or both. Some had known Newell since elementary school. The boys said they showered in Newell’s bathrooms and that he regularly came in to check their bodies for ticks.
Yeah, I bet he did.

"Here, Brandon...drink this. Ticks absolutely hate the taste/smell of red wine!"

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-09-12 at 16:38.