View Single Post
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2019-01-09, 17:54

Not buying as much Apple stuff, have not bought a new iPhone since the 6s came out, and just recently bought my first new Mac since 2011. Likely won't upgrade the Mac again for another 8-10 years if at all, if Apple goes the way I think they will. Not buying the services either, I only have the free iCloud storage and refuse to rent music via Apple music. Still buy music from the iTunes Store a few times a year with iTunes gift cards purchased with credit card points.

If you have super high end workflows, that demands the high core count stuff, there is a lot going on to be excited about. For those people it's very exciting, having 28+ cores in a single chip, rather than needing dual socket systems, and as a result a far lower power demand. These systems just are not on Apple's radar, they just don't target people high end workflows anymore, like dropping the Xsever and Mac Pro, no I'm not counting the overpriced ancient tech dinosaur from 2013.

For general consumers there isn't much exciting going on in computers other than some of the advances in peripherals, which Apple has either moved away from, like monitors, or keeps making worse, like keyboards and mice.

I suspect most of Apple's "innovation" will be to force more and more rental services, like Apple Music and iCloud storage on users. I expect to see Apple follow in Adobe's footsteps for non-bundled software very soon, or just abandon the non-bundled software altogether. The next few generations will be very telling, I could see them offering only small drive configs across the board on computers, 200-250GB to push more users into cloud services. They could also drop iPhone's back into the 16-32GB range for the same reason. Doing so would increase margins, since they are unlikely to drop prices.