View Single Post
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2014-07-28, 19:27

It's become clear that Kickstarter is changing the way cool stuff gets made. There's so much stuff on Kickstarter that I think it would be neat to have a place to share our "discoveries," but the ever-flowing chronological nature of Twitter makes it hard to follow each project's own narrative. Then I remembered that we have a "webforum," which seems like the perfect place to discuss this sort of thing!

The only rule I'll set is that if you can't post your Kickstarter without disclosing that it's yours. Which seems obvious, but you never know...

I mostly back cool-looking indie games on Twitter. Recently I backed Temporus and The Deer God (both over and funded), which were both totally up my alley (I love the look of pixel art coupled with modern lighting!).

There's a really neat Kickstarter for a documentary about apps, the people who make them, and how they've changed the worlds of art, business, and of course technology. It's called App: The Human Story, and it seems like something a lot of people here would be into. As I write this, it's just under $10k away from its goal, with about 60 hours to go. (The way Kickstarter works is the project starters don't get any of the money if they don't meet the goal—the backers are never charged if the project fails.) I don't have any doubts that they'll get that last $10k, but the way they get it isn't by everybody waiting for everybody else to pledge, so I thought I'd share it here.

Voting with my wallet and getting stuff I like made feels good, but I also really like Kickstarter because I use it to find out about cool stuff that I'd never know of otherwise. Does anyone else Kickstart things? Anyone backing any projects that the rest of us might be into? Share it here!

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong