Thread: PC Gaming Box.
View Single Post
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-02-22, 15:55

That's kinda spendy for the graphics card. US$250 is too much for the 6600GT - it's worth closer to $210 or $220 here. For that price I'd look into the low end GeForce 6800 - it has the same 128 MB of RAM and AGP interface, but it has 12 rendering pipelines vs. 8 on the 6600GT, so that will help performance. I think you'd be better off seeing if you can find a different 6600GT though for a lower price. The 6600GT is still a great video card, just not quite as fast as the 6800.

The RAM price seems fine. About the same as it costs here.

The motherboard seems quite expensive. Asus is a great brand, but look and see if you can find a better deal.

Also consider whether you really need a DVD burner. I know they're not too expensive, but you can get Combo drives for a lot cheaper anyway. Plus, if you get a Combo instead, you can put the money towards a sound card, which will help a lot. PCs tend to have really bad onboard sound, even the nice, fancy motherboards. They tend to lack power and sound kind of wishy-washy. The SoundBlaster Audigy (the SB Live is crappy) is fairly powerful and has the best gaming support, while the M-audio Revolution apparently has better sound quality for music and stuff. Also, the M-audio is Mac compatible if he ever wants to transplant it.

It's a good start. Oh, it might make it easier to read if you kind of cut down on those descriptions a bit. Then again, maybe you're not sure which parts to cut out.