View Single Post
ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2005-12-04, 00:46

Well, as of now, it appears that "Content Management System" and "Card game" are tied at 40% each.

I cast my vote for CMS, because a card game isn't very useful; it's fun and gimmicky, and I'm sure it has been done a zillion times. There are lots of content management systems too, but after having toyed around with one or two, I personally find them to be a little lacking in the "elegant design" department, less than intuitive, and altogether clunky.

I really want the chance to help design and later code a clean, manageable CMS with all the stops pulled out; most CMSes cover things like blogging pretty well, but it's usually difficult to cleanly integrate an image gallery, forums, and other traditionally standalone components.

I like consistency, and I think we probably have the talent here to focus on design first, and code second. I think a lot of OSS/community projects suffer from coding without first designing. Such is the hacker nature, write up little pieces of code that eventually evolve into something bigger. I think our project, should it be a CMS, should spend a fair amount of time and effort on good clean architectural design, as well as good interface design. Once that's in place, then we code it together.

So if we end with a tie, I urge us to pick a CMS over a card game. Just my two cents. It'd be great to unify news, forums, users, image galleries, and more under one visual and functional umbrella, and I'd expect no less of this community.

We are, after all, brought here by a strong interest in Apple.

Apparently I call the cops when I see people litter.