View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-12-27, 11:13

Luca brings up a great point (I didn't want to get into it, but he opened the door): for the first time in about seven or so years, I've not renewed my Macworld subscription.

Two reasons:

1. The "lack of meat" I talk about in my previous post. Just seems to get thinner and less informative with each passing year. And, frankly, it can get a bit iPod-centric at times. It really has in 2005.

2. With the Internet (and how much I check the Mac news/rumors sites, and participate in places like these 'Nova forums), by the time the issue comes out, I already know everything: the specs, prices, accessories offered, availability.

I never learn anything truly new or useful from Macworldanymore, and sometimes the reviews don't strike me as all that comprehensive or hard-hitting.

The Internet, in this instance, has truly trumped print.

On January 10, after Steve releases the goodies, we'll all know - via the Internet - EVERYTHING about the new Intel iBook or whatever. We'll see pics, features, specs, even some early reviews (maybe a day or two later, by a Walt Mossberg type who's had his hands on one for a few days).

Then, sometime in late February or early March, it'll make the cover of the next Macworld issue. With everything rehashed that we've already known for six weeks.

Just the nature of print vs. online...the immediacy of it all.

AND since Macworld seems to mostly use the stock Apple PR photography in the articles, I'm not getting any new, up close or enlightening views of the product that I've not already seen 100 times on Apple's website. I hate that too.

That's the reason I enjoy the British ones so much: they'll zoom into the back panel of the G5 the removed back panel of an iMac G5, where each port is about half an inch tall, shoot it at some wild-ass angle, blur out the edges some, etc. Why, it's darn near ART! And I loves it.

Them English people sure know how to take a purty picture!

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2005-12-27 at 11:35.