View Single Post
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2016-06-01, 18:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
I'm willing to wait until an actual price for an actual product is announced and shipping before declaring it unviable or not.

For our household (two teen students who are above-casual but not-hardcore gamers, one pro photographer), this coupled with three less expensive laptops makes a TON of sense in the tech way. Pricing would be the go/no-go determinant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
I'm going to throw a random thought out here, but if these things are real and the price is not over $1k, the iMac is dead. Why? People buy iMac's for the display more than anything (semi-power users who get quad core i7 models aside). If anything it could see the rise of the Mac Mini as a more usable semi-power user machine, if Apple is willing to put the right guts into them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran View Post
This would be awesome to dock a notebook into, especially a smaller one such as the MacBook. Hopefully it's made to work with the MacBook if that's the case.

I'd definitely be interested in having a 5K screen like that. Definitely a splurge, but it could be really nice, especially with not having to throw out the display when replacing the computer like with the iMac.
Hm.

If they included a GPU and a hard drive/solid state drive.... basically everyone's reasons for owning a desktop over a laptop would disappear. Your screen would have the heavy duty graphics power and storage.... your laptop would provide everything else.

Interesting concept, except the GPU will eventually fall behind, leaving you with a very valuable screen but outdated graphics power.