View Single Post
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2016-06-06, 18:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
Or leave the iMac specs to the iMac and don't bother glomming a desktop or high-end laptop GPU inside a display. The future for Apple isn't augmenting the power of an iDevice via a wireless dock concept. The iDevice should have all the capability built-in and continue to share displays via technologies like AirPlay. You should never see a dialog pop up on your iPad Pro indicating that an app requires an external display to run optimally.

As a bleeding edge Apple customer, I'm trying to think of any way for me to justify buying an incomplete iMac labeled as a "smart monitor." I'd rather separate the display and GPU imto constituent parts, but Apple will never allow that sort of hardware flexibility.
I think you are ignoring the fact that the majority of Thunderbolt displays are used with MacBook Pros and MacBook Airs right now. In that scenario, the GPU in the display makes a lot of sense. And it makes more sense when you throw compatibility for a 5K display in with the Mac Pro and Mac Mini.