View Single Post
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-08-12, 19:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
So... you're saying I should get an agent? I'm not sure, you're so subtle on that point...
I'm not super familiar with how the textbook business is run - it might be more straightforward. But for any other sort of book, yes yes oh god yes.

Agents are an author's best friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha
I'll definitely look into it, thanks, if I can just get over my control freak nature.
If you have a control freak nature, as I do - my book is my baby, and I am its domineering parent - I would think getting an agent would be more important. They are, again, on your side, so if you have any gripes about the cover/typeface/anything you can tell your agent, who can bitch to the editor on your behalf (while you still look like a perfect angel). Or if they think that the editor is right on something and knows better than you (which might happen, sometimes, idunno, you did make a fancy-pants dissertation) they can break the news to you in a kinder, gentler way, and maybe work towards a compromise.

Let me put it this way: WRT to control, you're probably better off with an agent than just with an editor. But you do pay for that, of course.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong