View Single Post
Windswept
On Pacific time

2008-09-18, 19:17

The late Patrick O'Brian wrote a series of naval adventure novels, 20 or 21 volumes, set during the Napoleonic Wars (1803). They involve a British sea captain named Jack Aubrey and his friend, naval surgeon, Stephen Maturin. The Russell Crowe movie Master and Commander was based on two of these novels.

I read the series a few years back and became addicted to the books at the time. Just lately, I have been checking out the CD audio versions from the library and listening to each novel as I work in the kitchen or clean the house.

I just discovered this afternoon that once again I am addicted to this series of novels. Thank god that I am only on volume no. 6 or so, and have plenty more to go, because I find that I simply must have *more* after this volume... and then, even more after that!

Wrt other addictions...

At one point, some years ago, I became addicted to chocolate chip cookies. I made the dough from scratch, kept it in the fridge, and every day I would come home from work and bake two big cookies in the oven. I would have to eat them with a fork from a plate, because I liked these cookies when they were warm, with the chocolate chips all melty and delicious. Fortunately, this addiction eventually ran its course, and I haven't made those cookies from scratch in ages.

So, is there anything to which you are even mildly addicted?

Thanks for any replies.