View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-10-17, 15:15

I know the feeling. It's amazing, some of the the jobs I've had, where you're constantly art-directed by a true know-nothing, always to the detriment of the project.

I'll do something really nice, really thought over, cohesive, clever, appeals to everyone in the department and even the person it's GOING to, to some degree, and all it takes is one a-hole higher-up who doesn't like a certain color(!), doesn't "get" any type that isn't 12-pt. Helvetica, centered, all-caps, etc.

I've actually had things shot down because the boss's WIFE (or girlfriend or whatever) doesn't like a particular shade of blue or whatever! Since when is SHE the client, paying the bills, signing my paycheck, is qualified to stick her nose in, etc.? I REALLY hate that, and I worked at a place in SoCal about five years ago where that happened a few times.

I just felt like a monkey.

WTF?!?!

I always just want to say "why in the hell was I hired? If you just want some schlocky, low-rent horseshit, then go grab someone off the street who can turn on a computer and type reasonably well and cut their teeth in Photoshop Elements 1.0, pay them 1/3 what you're paying me, etc. You're not even using me to my fullest!"

Idiots.

Kinda in a similar situation now, although I work a lot on my own and have gotten to the point where I go ahead and do it my way and ignore any "art direction" that fucks the project up. And always - ALWAYS - the way I did it originally is 100x nicer and more professional-looking than after the boss gets hold of it and works his/her "magic".

"Starbursts, starbursts...all caps, too! Bright red, and can you make the headline 300 points?"

"But the finished project is only 4x7 inches".

"Don't argue with me...we're going for impact here! We gotta grab 'em, Paul!"

"Grab this."

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2004-10-17 at 15:21.