View Single Post
lightning_bug

Send a message via AIM to lightning_bug  
2008-11-30, 16:57

Just finished off one of the dishes that I made from turkey leftovers - it's very much a New Mexican dish, as you might have a hard time finding green chile in the necessary quantity, but it's just too good not to share.

Turkey/Chicken Green Chile Stew

Ingredients:
  • 1 pound of chicken and/or turkey breast (a good mixture is recommended), cubed
  • 2-3 cloves of garlic, crushed and diced
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 2 cans of chicken broth (2-3 cups)
  • 2 tomatoes, finely diced
  • 2 medium-sized potatoes, cubed
  • 1 pound (16 oz.) of chopped green chile - fresh is best, but frozen is easier to find and works as well
  • (optional) 1 small can of tomato sauce (for color/flavor)

Directions:

1. Place chicken broth, diced tomatoes, potatoes and green chile in medium/large pot (maybe 4 quarts? I just use the largest pot I have and it works). Cook over medium heat as you prepare the meat for the stew.

2. Heat cooking oil (enough to cover the bottom of the pan) in medium or large frying pan over medium heat; add cubed chicken/turkey and cook until all pieces are no longer pink. Should take around 5 minutes.

3. Add crushed/diced garlic to meat, saute for approximately one minute. Add flour to mixture, stirring continuously to create a roux. Should take around 1-2 minutes for everything to be properly mixed and ready.

4. Add mixture to stewpot and stir to combine ingredients. Bring mixture to slow boil (medium heat should be sufficient), stirring occasionally and cook until potatoes and meat are tender. This should take 45-60 minutes, depending on how tender you want the potatoes. Cooking for an extra 15 minutes on the lowest possible heat helps with this, I find.

5. Add salt and cilantro to taste; serve with warm flour tortilla or slice of French bread.

Serves 4-6.

Try experimenting with this recipe if you like - I used leftover roasted turkey in my last batch of stew, shredded, and it really helped with the flavor and texture of everything. Great for breakfast in a cup with a fried egg on top, or great for those cold winter evenings!

Guess our wishes don't do dishes or brake repairs...
Twitter | Flickr | last.fm | PSN: TheLittleDoctor