View Single Post
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-07-10, 13:29

Colors may happen, but RAM slots in laptops are likely gone for good. There are more reasons than just "thin". A regular fail point we see in service were those slots. People might say, "but if my RAM fails …". Well, cards fail more often than soldered-in RAM. The chance of shorting out is far less likely. Granted, the repair for failed RAM is significantly higher, now, due to the need for logic board replacement, and that is no good. But, we see far less trouble with RAM now that it can't move around. Reliability is a real thing! That reliability factor also covers mechanical hard drives, CD drives, and every single port, especially if they are used often (including MagSafe boards, which are regularly damaged by fluid ingress and magnetic attraction of staples, screws, and other metal bits). Apple covers a lot of warranty work and takes note of the things most likely to break. Thin is as much a result of eliminating these failure points as it is a result of "because thin".

SD slots are certainly handy—for some people. Trouble is, "some" is a small percentage. "Most" people never used them. Thus, it was a convenient point of failure useful for only a small segment of the market. In fact, the majority of customers don't even know why they're there, or what they are! Including a port that is used by only a few adds complexity and failure-prone-ness for those who don't care.

So, "thin" is not the only reason. However, it is a reason, and not the best one, although so many people are coming into the shop looking for "thinnest, lightest" that I think "thicker, more batter, ports-O-plenty, please" is also a very small segment of the market. What this tells me is that *most* customers prefer thin and light over ports-O-plenty. And battery is no longer an excuse. These things get way better battery life than anything from just a few years ago; the batteries are more reliable; and they hold a standby charge far longer.

I understand the need to plug in every legacy thing a person might have in their bag, but those days are gone. Buy 1 inexpensive adapter that everything plugs into and keep it around (we carry an $80 thing that has SD, micro-SD, HDMI, USB-C with power pass through, and three USB 3 ports that are very reliable and we sell literally hundreds of them!). Or, hang onto a 5-10 year old computer until you're forced to make a decision.

My personal complaints have more to do with the utter uselessness of iPads (in my life, at least), especially when it comes to word processing and document editing. I'm no fan of some of Apple adapter choices or cabling confusion. I do miss MagSafe—a LOT. Apple should have kept it and simply improved its reliability. I would love to see iCloud become something sort of like reliable. I would encourage them to make iWork collaboration actually work consistently. I would absolutely love for them to get Apple ID login sorted out so that I do not have to type in my password three times! I hate that after a software update I have to log into my Apple ID on the computer, and then again in the App Store, and then again in iTunes, and then again to purchase something, and then again to verify that I just did it four times!

Apple is missing the boat as regards iPods. More people ask for iPod Nanos than iPod touches, but Nanos do not sell stupid, time-wasting games or Apple Music subscriptions, the customer's wishes be damned! Plenty of people want a smaller iPhone. A 15" MacBook Air would sell like mad! A $2000 headless Mac would set the cash register on fire. A $700 4k USB-C display is sorely needed.

I have my complaints, but ports-O-plenty are not one of them.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)