View Single Post
El Gallo
Formerly “MumboJumbo”

2012-04-12, 14:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky View Post
Er. Nick this is about the presence of characters (not the player character) in the game being given sexual orientations. Honestly my take is this: if the sexual orientation is necessary to drive plot forward, by all means, the more the merrier, but if it is simply added for filler, what's the point?
I think we are probably of the same view on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
Really? I have to play as a straight dude in virtually every other game. Are straight men "creepily" "expressing their orientation" every time they play Uncharted, or Grand Theft Auto, or God of War, or any of the other thousands of games with a straight male player character?
Honestly Robo, I'm not a super gamer I wouldn't be familiar as to how you would be expressing yourself as a straight dude in those games. Are you kissing a woman as a cutscene? The presumption maybe that they are straight or perhaps the half page backstory that is supposed to inform 10 hours of slashing something with a sword or shooting it with a gun declares straight but really how does that change the game play?

Understand I'm not saying the guy petitioning to not encounter gay team players is right. Aside from a label under characteristics how do they express being straight or gay? If they do take some sort of action to prove that point and it is some sort of goal to work towards in the game, my point, for me at least stands. If someone is a gay man and wants to hack at dragons for ten hours so he can save and kiss a virtual gay prince, I'm still of the view that those ten hours would be better spent chasing down and kissing actual men.

Just my two cents and understand that my in depth gaming likely involves some birds and pigs or helping direct water. I'm not certain of the orientation of the birds, pigs or alligators.

EDIT:

I guess I thought of another example that shows how I feel about this. My sons really liked Guitar Hero when it was big and apparently I was decent at it when playing with them. I helped them unlock all the songs and whatnot. One day they were fighting and I intervened. Apparently they had spent all the virtual dollars but were arguing over what to buy because they discovered I had never spent any of my virtual dollars. I had to sort it out and I guess the virtual dollars buy t-shirts, decals for guitars (skins?) and so forth.

I could care less what character I played as, what t-shirt it wore, or which model of guitar it played. The whole concept of caring and cultivating virtual things to that degree strikes me as strange.

Last edited by El Gallo : 2012-04-12 at 14:32.