View Single Post
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2012-04-12, 15:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gallo View Post
Honestly Robo, I'm not a super gamer I wouldn't be familiar as to how you would be expressing yourself as a straight dude in those games. Are you kissing a woman as a cutscene?
Cutscenes? The God of War games have playable sex minigames.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gallo
The presumption maybe that they are straight or perhaps the half page backstory that is supposed to inform 10 hours of slashing something with a sword or shooting it with a gun
You clearly have a high view of the medium

BioWare's games, generally, are not just ten hours of slashing or shooting. They have a story, and the relationships between the party members are generally considered to be an important part of their games' experience.

Quote:
Aside from a label under characteristics how do they express being straight or gay? If they do take some sort of action to prove that point and it is some sort of goal to work towards in the game, my point, for me at least stands.
I really don't know what you're trying to say with the bolded, because it's kind of poorly worded, but it seems uncomfortably close to "they can be gay, as long as they don't do anything that 'proves' that they're gay, because that would be 'creepy.'"

Quote:
If someone is a gay man and wants to hack at dragons for ten hours so he can save and kiss a virtual gay prince, I'm still of the view that those ten hours would be better spent chasing down and kissing actual men.
This is quite possibly the oddest comment I've ever read on AppleNova. People — straight or gay — don't play games, even games with a romantic subplot, as some sort of substitute for real relationships. People play games for the fun of the game — the gameplay, the story, the music, whatever. So saying that somebody who wants to play a game as a gay character would better spending their time chasing down actual men is just a total non sequitur. It would be like saying people should go chase tail instead of reading, or watching TV. They're not at all the same activity.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong