View Single Post
Eugene
careful with axes

2016-11-17, 05:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
Maybe some of us don't give a crap about an Apple car, or automated cars in general for that matter, and cable company deals? What is this 2005? Who still gets cable? As for cars, if Apple designed a car it would most likely be too thin for anyone who weighted over 100 pounds anyway. Frankly I want less automatic crap in my car, I enjoy driving and have no desire not for it to change into some kind of computer entertainment system with big ass screens and useless crap.

Considering that Apple charges top dollar for what they sell, they darn well better have the best, latest and greatest guts out in their machines. As others have said, if Apple wants to ax the Mac, just do it already and stop leaving us hanging.
Pretty short-sighted.

The Apple car is a practical application for technologies that will drive the company forward. Namely cognitive computing, image recognition, and artificial intelligence in general. Autonomous cars are going to be a huge deal when it comes to battling climate change. They create the potential to redesign our transportation infrastructure.

And who signs up for cable? Roughly 82% of US households still pay for cable or satellite.

That number is stabilizing because cord-cutting still costs money and isn't a seamless experience. It's almost impossible to cord-cut sports. If you still want to watch Westworld or Game of Thrones, you're paying $10/mo for the privilege. If I want Netflix, that's another $10/mo. If i want MLB.tv, that's ~$100 and local games are still blacked out. Apple has the opportunity to use its weight to push media conglomerates around and force them to standardize around a single cohesive subscription format and user experience.

It's your own stubbornness leaving you feeling held hostage by Apple on the desktop side. Buy a Windows PC, build your own exactly how you want it. Make it a Hackintosh if you want to...it's pretty effortless at this point. Or, you know, keep your current Mac and buy whatever's available because such little progress has been made in terms of raw computing power. ThunderBolt 3 is really the only thing that interests me, and even that is not something I absolutely need.