View Single Post
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2022-12-04, 20:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
I did not realize there was a smaller 12VDC battery in those hybrids. Another thing that dawned on me, with the inverter set up and such you may not be able to back feed the 12VDC from the 12VDC jack if it isn't electrically wired to the terminals of the battery. If that jack has any kind of circuit between the terminals of the jack and the battery then it won't work and you would need to wire to the terminals of the battery directly or via a fuse block.

This is actually no a big deal and shouldn't void any coverage on your new truck. While you could use clamps to attach to the battery I would really recommend screwing the wires down. Then have those go to a controller. The controller should be able to be configured for the kind of battery you have in there. You could set it up so you can plug/unplug the solar panel when you don't want it sitting there so everything is wired to the truck and just use an SAE connector to attach the panel.

For the battery you have, this is the documentation for the Renogy Wanderer I have in the van. You can look through it to see if it would work for your battery. I would assume so, but really don't know without digging myself.
There are jump/charge pins under the hood connected to the main inverter, I've charged it up with a trickle charger that way, but it is old and not setup to charge AGM batteries, which is apparently not a good thing for an AGM battery. I should likely just get a new battery maintainer to keep it leveled off rather than worrying about solar, but I figured if I could get something safe setup cheap I might consider it. Those items are far more expensive here in Canada unfortunately, so I'll likely go with something wired to the house mains.