View Single Post
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-12-30, 14:38

I'm telling you, these IOT smart devices are going to be trouble down the road.

Unrelated, I just had a visit from a friend who wanted to show off his in-home cameras. He said he was "going to check on his wife." I made the comment, "Boy, I hope we don't catch her in her underwear. That would be embarrassing."

Fortunately, she wasn't compromised. However, what if she wasn't expecting her husband to be checking on her with a friend sitting right there?

I say that knowing that he is one of my closest friends and I would never want to embarrass he or his wife. However, I am not the internet. There are bad people out there who could gain access to these systems and have themselves a little peaky-poo. And what if the wife is walking around in her undies? Dude snaps a quick screenshot and shares it to his HotHouswivesGoneWild.org website, and then the damage is permanent. Her image is forever floating around the interwebs and she has no control over it, or the rumors that spread because of it.

And that's only the beginning. Sneeky-poo will also know whether or not the hubby is home, and how to remotely open the front door to let himself in for a bit more than just a screenshot.

I'm just not willing to put my family's safety into the hands of these jackass companies and their incessant security issues.

No and way!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)

Last edited by kscherer : 2019-12-30 at 15:06.