View Single Post
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2019-07-10, 13:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Colors may happen, but RAM slots in laptops are likely gone for good. There are more reasons than just "thin". A regular fail point we see in service were those slots. People might say, "but if my RAM fails …". Well, cards fail more often than soldered-in RAM. The chance of shorting out is far less likely. Granted, the repair for failed RAM is significantly higher, now, due to the need for logic board replacement, and that is no good. But, we see far less trouble with RAM now that it can't move around. Reliability is a real thing! That reliability factor also covers mechanical hard drives, CD drives, and every single port, especially if they are used often (including MagSafe boards, which are regularly damaged by fluid ingress and magnetic attraction of staples, screws, and other metal bits). Apple covers a lot of warranty work and takes note of the things most likely to break. Thin is as much a result of eliminating these failure points as it is a result of "because thin".
This is a good and important case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
SD slots are certainly handy—for some people. Trouble is, "some" is a small percentage. "Most" people never used them. Thus, it was a convenient point of failure useful for only a small segment of the market. In fact, the majority of customers don't even know why they're there, or what they are! Including a port that is used by only a few adds complexity and failure-prone-ness for those who don't care.
…I don't think I can agree with this on a product called "MacBook Pro", though. It's not for "most people"!