View Single Post
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2012-06-19, 11:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
Maybe? It was in the age with all the trees — "Channelwood," I think? — and there were pipes all along all the paths, and you had to walk all over the place turning valves to direct water different places, and I remember it being really tedious.

But I'm not sure that was the hardest one. Wasn't there one where you had to navigate a maze in a vehicle, guided by chimes? Like, the vehicle would come to a stop, and a chime would play, and you were supposed to eventually gather that the different chimes meant you should to in different directions. That one I had trouble with.

The library computers didn't have sound.
The Selenitic mazerunner is sound-based, so not having a soundcard would not have helped at all. It also is much more of a pain if you haven't finished Mechanical first, because in order to solve Mechanical you learn the sounds that correspond with compass directions. If you go to Selenitic first, though, you get to figure out by trial and error. Hell, I know how to solve it and I still screw up if I try to do it by ear.

The worst puzzle in Myst or Riven, as far as I'm concerned, is the fucking "waffle iron" that powers Linking Books in Riven. I am well aware of the theory behind it, and it does make logical sense, but fuck that shit I'm cheating it every single time.

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder