View Single Post
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2008-05-07, 13:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farenheit View Post
This post bought to you IKEA International Group.

Hey, I said it was the IKEA appreciation thread. You expected it to not read like ad copy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes View Post
Ugh. Funny. I can't *stand* IKEA.

Bunch of poorly made furniture from China that's built to be bought then tossed in 5 years.

All sorts of raw materials getting shipped all over the world at rock bottom prices in order to push extra sales to our throwaway society.

I'm not a hippie by any stretch, but to me the idea of using wood that was likely clear cut from asia at best, or shipped all the way from another continent to go into furniture that's built *not* to last, bothers me.

But, I don't want to crap all over your thread Robo, and I've been there so I completely understand.

Hope you enjoy the new digs.
I know IKEA is not perfect, but they seem to be trying. And yes, everyone is "trying" to be environmentally hip these days, but IKEA started before it was cool, so they might actually mean it. Maybe.

Things like their complex (yet strangely fascinating) tax avoidance strategy do bother me, but it's hard to argue with their product...or their prices.

Like I said, I realize IKEA furniture is far from heirloom-quality. The thing is, in five years I'd like to be in another state (hell, maybe even another country), and buying new furniture (guess where...) would be cheaper than moving my old stuff. If having furniture I could pass down to future generations (or having future generations, period) was a priority for me, I probably wouldn't like IKEA so much. But I actually wouldn't like having tens of thousands of dollars invested in heavy heirloom furniture (even if I had the money), because that would just weigh me down. It would be a lot harder to move, and at this point in my life, I don't like feeling tied to any particular place (especially Vegas).

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong