View Single Post
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-09-11, 10:51

With the pandemic and a child who's dream in life is to be a professional ballerina, my wife and I wanted to build something that would really help her out. While she is taking classes in person again, there was a period where no classes could be had. Since it might happen again and she likes to workout at home, we built a dance floor. Well, I did the hard work, but all the kids and Mrs T helped. We went with the pool noodle method since the type of material the pool noodles are made of actually withstands abuse really well while providing years of "spring" for the floor.

Our noodle slices are 1 3/4" thick. Pool noodle jig to ensure they are all the same size.

The build is done with 1/2" plywood sheathing that has pool noodles glued in a 7 x 12 pattern on the bottom.

The space is 20' x 9.5'. This worked out to most whole sheets with only a few slivers on the edge near the wall.

Then comes the 3/4" T&G plywood that is placed on top with staggering seams. So where I started with full sheets on the left for the 1/2", I started on the right for the 3/4". I also cut one of the sheets in half to offset the seams within the T&G

It was "accidental" that I managed to align the markings for the joists on the T&G, but it actually educated me on laying a subfloor to some extent. Since we want bounce in this floor, I only put about 8 screws total and that was just to keep things mostly in place. We want movement and bounce so it wasn't glued or screwed along like I'm learning an normal floor is done.

One other amazing "it just worked out" is that the door opens over the new flooring. In fact, after we lay the Marley down on the plywood it will still have enough clearance to open the door! We aren't planning to have it be a normally traversed door, but still nice that it can be done.

The Marley will be there middle of next week and the barre supports are on the way too. We still need to get the barres, they will be 12' and likely poplar. We are working on quotes for the full mirror wall that will include a double gang outlet passthrough as well.

My wife still needs to paint the walls too. She picked some colors and it going to have fun with it. I still have to finish out the end near our treadmill. We are going to make it more of a ridged finish with shoe molding capping it too.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.