View Single Post
Fooboy

2005-03-10, 12:20

Apple designed the g5 to be a high performance desktop chip. Since it was designed for the desktop, they could afford to design it to use more power and put out more heat. Look at the g5 case, its a high tech solid aluminum wind tunnel with 4 fans.

WHEN they eventually get the g5 into a powerbook, it will probably be clocked at around the iMac speeds (1.6-1.8 ghz) or lower. Think about it - how could they get it faster than an iMac when the iMac is much bigger and thicker (for better air movement / heat dissipation) and has no battery life concerns since it plugs into the wall (unlike a laptop).

I suggest you get a powerbook g4 since they just updated them and they are great machines ... or get a last revision 1.33 ghz for $500-300 less (depending on how old). g5 powerbooks are purely speculation at this point as far as relaease dates go ... but just from common sense (read above), I think it will be about on par or a little below a 17 inch iMac ... and probably at least a year off.

It all comes down to the volumetric dimensions and acatual heat dissipation of something like a g5 in the small thing constraints of a powerbook ... plus the fact apple likes things quiet ... so also take into consideration that it can't be cooled in a method thats loud (fast or high volume fans).

That being said - I say there are 3 options on the horizon.

1. It's either going to be quite a while until they figure out a way to quietly cool one in a current/small/thin aluminum powerbook

2. They will underclock it enough to cool it sufficiently ... which would still be better than a g4, but not by nearly as much (although it'd still have the newer chip architecture and faster front side bus ... etc)

3. They will eventually end up making a departure from the current series/dimension/model of powerbooks (maybe thicker or louder) in order to cool the g5.

So as I stated, I'd go g4 and if you REALLY want a g5 later on ... then sell the g4 cuase there will be tons of people who'd still pay nicely for a well kept, still totally capable g4 powerbook, additionally, powerbooks hold value very well. EVEN MORE, when the g5 first comes out - you can image there will be a host of issues/problems as with any revision A machine.

Get the G4 (proven and currently available), sell it when the G5 powerbook has all the quirks out (which could be quite some time).

- Foo

Last edited by Fooboy : 2005-03-10 at 12:53.