View Single Post
Windswept
On Pacific time

2005-08-14, 23:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by SledgeHammer
There was definitely construction. I-80 is perpetually under construction, and often one lane for long stretches. Jersey barriers on one side and a guard-rail followed by a 50 foot drop on the other is no picnic, but slow and steady did the trick, even if it pissed off the people behind me.
Well, congratulations then!

Around here, when road construction barriers are put up on city streets, it's tricky getting a regular-width vehicle through sometimes. I can't even *imagine* trying to drive a moving truck through construction. And with a 50 foot drop on the other side? Omg!

Some years ago, I borrowed my brother's truck with pop-up camper on it, and spent a few weeks camping in the Colorado Rockies. I loved that camper so much, because when it was 'popped-up', there were screen 'windows' all around - so much so, that it almost felt as if one were outside in the cool air, instead of being in snug, cozy comfort inside, drinking coffee and reading, after a long day of hiking on the trails.

But pop-up campers are wide up top, and driving that thing through some of the narrow mountain roads produced in me a state of high anxiety. I just knew some of those rock overhangs would tear the camper right off if I drove just an inch too close. Grit teeth, hold breath, hope for the best.