View Single Post
Chinney
Veteran Member

2004-06-28, 08:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
Well, basically what I'm saying is that the specs don't matter, the ease of use doesn't matter, and the efficiency of your workflow doesn't matter. The vast majority of people are locked into a particular method of doing things, and that includes computer purchases. What do they see? Confusing system specifications and idiot salespeople who never even mention Apple, and if asked any questions about Macs, will immediately shoot them down as "only for designers" or "too expensive" or something.

I'm not saying Apple will stop making computers. Far from it. In fact, I doubt their overall strategy towards making and selling computers will change much. It's their revenue base, and it's something they can't really change. So they'll keep their computer business going as long as it brings in money, and they'll use the money to branch out into other areas, where they CAN make a difference and actually become a major player.
In these last comments, I think that you are probably right. Actually, it is consistent with my “status quo” pick (the first choice in the poll). I do remain somewhat hopeful that Apple will get a positive spin out of some of its new non-computer technologies - and perhaps also if the G5 can make some quick advances that really allows it to pull ahead – that would cause a large number of people to look at its computers. Such a spin could build on itself: nothing is as popular as new popularity and Apple really does have something it can show people if they look. I am not saying that this is the most likely result, but it is not out of the realm of reasonable possibility.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.