View Single Post
Reid

2006-01-13, 13:12

I think MacBook Pro is a silly name, but it does give me an idea of a future Apple product matrix that isn't just chopped into 4 quadrants. Come to think of it where does Mac mini fit in with that antiquated model? I think that was the machine that began to lead us into a new era.

What if we don't try to predict what they'll "rename" the iBook? Instead, I think Apple really envisions a broader spectrum of products than they currently offer. A spectrum that isn't as easy to wedge into a Power___, i___ naming scheme.

You'd have, on the portable side:
- MacBook Pro: high performance dual cores, big 15-17" screens
- MacBook: single core, low power usage, mid-sized 13-14" screens
- MacBook mini: ultra-thin and ultra-portable, maybe even using 1.8" drives and a small 12-inch widescreen; miniaturazition may mean it's more expensive than MacBook (VERY common in the Windows PC world)

On the desktop side:
- iMac: the icon of Apple, a powerful but simple all-in-one PC
- Mac Pro: the big, expandable, multi-processer towers
- Mac: a mid-range "headless" iMac, maybe with one expansion slot
- Mac mini: entry level, single-core, limited if any expandability

And then, of course, there's the capper:
- MacPod: the living room Mac designed for media storage and playback

EDIT: In this scenario, you wouldn't really have to worry about "cannibalization" between product lines, when iBook performance encroaches on PowerBook performance, etc. People will just choose the product that best fits their needs. Because they'll all be using Intel chipsets with a variety of processor choices, there won't be as much overlap and each will be refreshed as bumps become available. Thoughts?

Last edited by Reid : 2006-01-13 at 13:22.