View Single Post
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2010-03-21, 23:09

1. Although as far as I know it is part of standard operation, mine always feels like it gets better cooling when it is open. I've never put it through serious work closed, but I don't think it's a problem - hasn't been for me.

2. Yes. Do you mean anything more specific than waking it from sleep? My USB mouse wakes the MBP from sleep when it is closed. I don't have my external keyboard paired up so I can't test that you, sorry. I put it to sleep from the Apple menu when it is in clamshell mode. The desktop just moves onto my external, and then back if I put it to sleep and wake it again. It won't jump over if I just open the laptop while operating in clamshell mode.

3. The vents are in the hinge, at the back. That is part of the reason I feel it cools better with lid open. The base of the screen splits the air flow from the fans in half. Half goes below the hinge, out into the open, the other half goes up above the hinge - into the screen/keyboard area. That is why the screen heats up a little bit in clamshell mode, no where for that heat to go. In my estimation at least.

I would recommend to work with the vent upwards if you must use it vertically. I wouldn't feel comfortable with it that way though.

If space really is a big issue, I would purchase a little shelf for the monitor. Then slide the laptop, closed of course, underneath that when it is in clamshell mode. I'll post pics of mine if my explanation doesn't make sense.

Oh sorry, I just saw the bottom part asking for someone who does this often. I don't know if that was an edit, or if I missed it at first. Anyway, I don't operate the notebook in closed mode often - sorry for wasting your time. I don't do it often partially because I don't feel comfortable with it, and mostly because I like having two screens.