View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-11-04, 20:26

Is it not that way with Lightning? Is it that much smaller to avoid being so much on that "curve"? I know it's drastically smaller in the one dimension (width), but it's still roughly the same thickness in depth? But it might've been scooted up a bit. The times where I've had to plug a 30-pin connector into an iPad, I've not liked it either. Feels like I'm going in at a weird angle, or that I'm going to break/snap something.

As someone who is now about four weeks into an iPhone 5, I do love the Lightning connector. No more worrying about "do I have this oriented correctly?", especially in the dark/dim lighting. The 30-pin now feels like SCSI or a serial connector, in comparison...yesterday's news/old school. Granted, all I'm doing is charging/syncing, so if the Lightning connector is lacking some special features that the 30-pin had, I'm not aware, and, therefore, not bothered.

So for my specific scenario/usage, Lightning has indeed been a nice step up/improvement all around. I've already gotten rid of my 30-pin cables and replaced them with two Lightning-to-USB cables (car and iMac). I'd rather just buy two $19 cables and have them permanently in place/ready to use vs. buying one $29-$39 adapter (and having to remember to take it with me daily, or move it around the house as needed). I'll gladly pay $10 for convenience, or not having to think about or remember those kinds of things.

In addition to that taller screen (which somehow just feels so much more "right"), my favorite part of the new iPhone is the Lightning connector and port. Sounds silly, and it's not something that just hits you over the head on an ongoing basis. But it's a small, subtle improvement that you come to appreciate at odd, random times.