View Single Post
Naderfan
Queen of Confrontation

2014-01-06, 10:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windswept View Post
I haven't seen the DVD for season one at the library where I check these out, and if they didn't put it on video, I wonder why not? I can't remember what events might have occurred in that time period and it's kind of a torment trying to recall all those hours worth of material.

I heard in an interview that some of the actors chose to leave the series and go on to do something else for their careers (hence a death or two from the storyline). It's hard to imagine why they would leave, since Downton Abbey is apparently one of the most widely-viewed tv series of all time around the world. I wonder if the viewers are mostly women, of if the division percentage is anywhere near 50-50, men vs. women.
That's odd about Season 1. I know it used to be on Netflix, but then got pulled (from the live streaming at least) when it went to Amazon Prime. I wish now I'd watched it when I had the chance! I've heard too about all the contract/casting issues. I can't remember where I read this, but apparently British actors are less willing to sign on to long-term contracts (compared with American tv actors) and that's why they're scrambling so much to move people in and out. Seems weird to me too.

And if my anecdotal evidence means anything, the men who do watch it largely seemed to be forced into it by wives/girlfriends. My FB newsfeed last night was largely divided between my female friends' excitement for the start of the show and my male friends' groans over having to watch it once more.