View Single Post
addabox
Veteran Member

2014-07-15, 14:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
I watched a show called "The Strain" last night. I think it's a vampire(?) type deal, set in modern day NYC. It was kinda neat. It was the premiere episode (on FX). I'll continue watching unless/until it gets lame. Apparently based on a book(s) and Guillermo del Toro has something to do with it (he wrote the book, and/or directed last night's episode).

Had a bit of an "X Files" slow-burn vibe to it, and 2-3 genuine creepy moments.

For someone who isn't a fan or follower or horror/gore, I wind up watching (and liking) these crazy shows with vampires, zombies and serial killers. Go figure.
I like the setup; I just hope the ratio of dumb shit to cool shit tilts in our favor. And by dumb shit I don't mean the pulpy plot contrivances, which are fine by me (immortal Nazis, how can you go wrong?). I mean shit like when

Spoiler (click to toggle):
the CDC lady goes into the cockpit of the dead airplane and the guy on the tarmac freaks out like it's a terrorist attack. "That door should be locked! You're not authorized to enter the cockpit! I order you to leave the cockpit at once! I'm contacting Homeland Security!" Dude. They're ALL DEAD. She's not going to fucking hijack the plane. The flight crew is in no danger, in that they are DEAD. It's like the writers were all "high tension time, let's throw in screaming on account of the tension" and nobody said "that makes no fucking sense." There's so goddamn much "Makes no fucking sense" in scriptwriting anymore it's like some kind of mental illness, and any signs of same suggest to me there are hacks working on this show, and that's never a good sign.

That which doesn't kill you weakens you slightly and makes you less able to cope until you're completely incapacitated