View Single Post
addabox
Veteran Member

2014-07-15, 14:23

Huge Orphan Black fan here, I think it's well worth watching. First season is often hilarious, you don't realize at first how funny this show can be. Leading actress does a stunning job of creating distinct personas, makes it possible to relax and experience the premise without getting reminded that you're watching one person with different hairdos.

Second season gets a bit into the weeds plotting wise (nothing wrong, exactly, just has to spend a lot of time with running around various threads and it detracts a bit from the shows central pleasures) but still very engrossing.

But most importantly, actually manages to deliver overall "mystery" arch against episode to episode "revelations" in a way that is satisfying and doesn't invest too much into huge, mind boggling shit that you reckon will never really be resolved. Really, other trick show, take note. You don't need secrets at the heart of the universe to keep our interest, you just need compelling characters and witty dialogue and worked out episodic plot. It's been renewed for a third season and I have no concerns that they'll have to make up some unreasonable shit to kill time, because the characters and performances are already more than enough to keep me watching even if we already know exactly what's going on.

That which doesn't kill you weakens you slightly and makes you less able to cope until you're completely incapacitated