View Single Post
addabox
Veteran Member

2014-07-15, 16:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Exactly. xEleventy trillion.

The entire movie Prometheus was built on that, in fact. People smart enough to pilot a ship through space (and all that it entails), land on a planet and instantly become completely stupid and careless for two hours. Man, that was a goofy movie. It looked amazing (some of those shots throughout were incredible), but I wanted everyone in it eaten or blown up after about 50 minutes of watching. Except Ms. Rapace. I'll cut her a break, because...well...
I know! Prometheus could have so kickass with just a little input from, I dunno, you, me? I mean normal, reasonably intelligent people who haven't had whatever brain damage occurs (or maybe it's just cynicism) from having spent a lot of time in LA and writing rooms and development meetings or whatever the hell has to happen to just fucking blithely go with shit that any sentient viewer is going to find ridiculous. I mean, run the script past the pool boy, so he can say "Um, why are these people acting this way? Are they retarded? And what happened to that shit that was so important a few pages ago, it's like everybody just forgot?"

I honestly think there's some kind of fatal hype thing happening, where fatuous, glib people get each other pumped up over bullshit and high five everybody in the room because MONSTERS and EXPLOSIONS and TITS and they actually, genuinely are incapable of keeping track of how actual people act.

Also, not to dump too hard on The Strain because it seems like it doesn't take itself too seriously and might be a good ride nonsense notwithstanding, but

Spoiler (click to toggle):
I think its time to retire the "radio is playing a jaunty pop tune while unspeakable violence is happening" trope. Happened again in The Strain, while autopsy guy (by the way, what happened to all the moon suits and biohazard gear? Airborne or no, you'd think the guy cutting into the bodies of 206 people who died of unknown causes might want to put on a little mask, or something?) is listening to Sonny and Cher or some shit and the dead rise up to rip him limb from limb. And they do that sound thing where they move the mix from tinny radio in the background to full on happy time soundtrack while the blood flies, all ironical like. That was chilling the first few times I saw it, now it's just another cliche.

That which doesn't kill you weakens you slightly and makes you less able to cope until you're completely incapacitated