View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2014-07-15, 17:35

I can't believe you just wrote that because I had that exact conversation not 24 hours ago, and said the same thing.

I think it was Neil Diamond's "Sweet Caroline" playing when the coroner/medical examiner guy got his.

I think I first noticed this with The X Files, ages ago. But it's been done a lot, for sure.

A recent, silly example of this is Insidious, which used Tiny Tim's "Tiptoe Through the Tulips" in a few places. Thing is though, it didn't work there because Tiny Tim and that song are both creepy/unsettling enough already. So it just kinda canceled itself out, vs. "made a creepy scene even more so".

I remember sitting there thinking "of all the songs/artists available...".

My biggest gripe about The Strain was...

Spoiler (click to toggle):
The air traffic controller guy, who I spent 25 minutes believing was Robert Davi with some work done, approaching that thing on the floor in the warehouse. He was by himself, weird stuff was already going on, you've got this huge black pile of cloth that is "breathing" and looking vaguely humanoid and crouched over and making some weird, unearthly sounds...yes, by all means, approach it and stand 18" from it. What's the worst that could happen?! That guy deserved everything that came his way.

Again, smart enough to be an air traffic controller supervisor/bigwig (and all that goes with the gig), yet stupid enough to do what he did...and getting completely slaughtered for his trouble. No real person I actually know would've done that. "Holy hell, there's this weird black cape-y thing in the middle of the floor making weird noises...". After I haul ass in the opposite direction for a good 3-4 minutes - making sure not to trip and fall! - I'm then on my walkie-talkie to call in airport security, TSA agents, police, S.W.A.T, FBI, Seal Team 6, Men in Black, Father Karras, Batman, the Power Rangers, etc. Whoever. I don't approach it out of awe and curiosity like a total moron...