View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2014-07-21, 07:06

Yeah, their CDC boss(?) is a supreme assbag. And now they've got the HHS secretary playing along. You'd think, of all people, they'd be the two being most careful and pragmatic. The blame for all the hell that's about to break loose can be laid squarely at the feet of these two morons, in addition to the hardcase, surly van driver and Samwise.

If none of these four people acted the way they have (and did the things they've done), this would be a somewhat-contained, airport-only incident/crisis.

And I hate to be "that guy", but what's with the hyper-bitchy, completely unlikeable female characters all over the place?! The lead character's wife is an awful human being (you just know she watches Oprah and reads Gwyneth Paltrow's blog ; she'll poison the kid against his own dad if she hasn't already...a repugnant person on multiple levels). Then there's the snooty, bossy survivor who likes to make threats and talk down to others (can't wait to see her get it). And now the HHS secretary, in full rank-pulling, oblivious/political CYA mode. It'll be a pleasure watching her get chomped for her missteps and incompetence (things like this always have to have a Mayor Vaughn figure...oblivious, foot-dragging and vaguely corrupt/self-centered types in leadership positions who always make things worse because they never believe the lead character's claims/warnings). I'm surprised the HHS lady wasn't wearing a blazer with little anchors on it.

Other than van driver's mom, there isn't a pleasant, likable female character anywhere. Even the lead character's CDC partner is a bit cold and off-putting (but at least she's acting right in regards to the crisis, exhibiting some common sense and backbone, making up for the lack of it in everyone around her). The men on this show are dumb, corrupt and/or ball-less (except for the old guy who knows what's up), but the women are off the charts! Jury's still out on rocker dude's manager/agent(?). She kinda had a neat vibe, like she's incapable of being offended and is no longer shocked by horrible behavior.

Much of this reminds me of a Stephen King story/characters...everyone's clearly drawn and fills in the various checkboxes for character traits and quirks, and the mundane, day-to-day is highlighted and played-up so you know what each character's underlying strengths, weaknesses and values are before it all hits the fan. I've not read the books, but I'm gonna predict the van driver redeems himself and becomes a Daryl Dixon fan-favorite type. With his Mom, he showed he wasn't just all hardcore and "street", so he'll probably step up and be a vampire-killing machine (holding his pistol sideways and making tough-guy quips with each kill). And you can see the overlapping and how they're slowly bleeding into each other's lives, a la Avengers team-building. At some point, van driver is gonna meet up with old man (returning the stolen radio?), and then they'll hook up with the CDC duo, etc. They're painting that rich old man's assistant to be a thoughtful, noble type, so I can imagine he might factor in big at some point. He's already suspicious of the German with the box, and their motives. Assuming he makes it out of that warehouse ramp area alive, he'll have helpful info to share with the CDC leads ("this old man I work for arranged for this box to be brought to him; I saw some creepy shit!")

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2014-07-21 at 07:40.