View Single Post
Matsu
Veteran Member

2023-01-06, 18:14

I wonder how much a brace of ultrasonic speakers cost? And if they would work to produce a "wash" with little spill outside the defined area, as opposed to concentrated "spot".

Now I'm not thinking Millenium Park levels of sonic distribution... but Yamaha suggests you could use a pergola or trellis to focus the sound a bit using just some regular outdoor speakers, smart placement, and some audio processing, here. Again, not trying to contain a rock concert without disturbing the neighbours, but maybe being able to play a bit above ambient noise and have it more or less unobtrusive to them. The weakness I see in what Yamaha is suggesting here is the height would clear a lot of obstacles and help the sound reflect around and "carry"...

What I was thinking is a bit more like the audio that winds through a theme park using in ground speakers though. Many are designed to distribute sound rather than focus it, but there are also directional models, four to six of them, or so, strategically placed, could play at an enjoyable level in the yard, while using the flower beds and back yard structures to muffle what spills out of the yard...