View Single Post
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2023-03-22, 01:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
We need to focus on educating people about how to spot fake news and disinformation online. Additionally, we need platforms that prioritize transparency and accurate information over profit and engagement metrics. Finally, we must restore trust in our institutions so that people have faith in the sources of information they receive.
You are right, of course, and although I don't want to say it's hopeless in the US, I think it's pretty fracking hopeless today when a large and powerful contingent of a major political party has been for decades deliberately and successfully eroding trust in public institutions and systematically destroying the roles of public education and critical thinking. People aren't even trying to hide it any more, some haven't for years, brazenly making the destruction of these systems an openly stated goal of their platforms and policies. I know "politics" can be touchy a subject, but it's hard not to address an elephant in the room here.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.