View Single Post
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-06-04, 13:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
I am astonished that you are able to run air conditioning, microwave, etc from the system. Clearly, my understanding of your setup's capabilities was set too low.
Let me blow your mind then.... I'm intentionally using electricity AND turned off one of my inverters today just so I can fully charge my Powerwalls. Why might you ask? Well I'm glad you did so I can explain.

The Powerwalls are capable of 5kW in or out continuous. So just like last night when we over pulled and the Powerwalls reset because I pulled more than 10kW, today I realized it won't charge if we actually try to send 15.7kW to the batteries and the grid isn't present to offload the extra to!

Why aren't my batteries charging?

OH! To much power!

While I was at church I checked on the batteries and was really perplexed that they weren't charging. So I happened to catch the inverters sending power and even with the A/C running and other items we just weren't pulling more than 5700w of power to keep the two inverters from over powering the Powerwalls! The only option the Gateway has to prevent over powering is to turn off the inverters. The way they are wired that is an all or nothing thing. So both inverters get turned off an no solar production at all until it can handle the input power from them.

So what was my solution? When I got home I intentionally started heavy loads and turned off one of the inverters.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.