Thread: iPad 2
View Single Post
zippy
Veteran Member

2010-06-21, 09:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Yeah, I guess "iPad 2" isn't the same as "iPad Rev. B". Sorry.

I still stand by my "Rev. B" talk above (but I don't think the iPad is destined for a back-facing camera...too big and awkward to try and shoot pictures or video with such a big, flat device, IMO...try to imagine doing so and tell me exactly how you'd hold it and where you hands/fingers would go to operate the onscreen buttons. See what I mean? Not the most elegant, steady approach, is it?). I think it would only ever wind up with a front-facing one for FaceTime/iChat-type usage (where it actually makes sense, as a communication device).
Prior to the demos of FaceTime, I would have agreed that the iPad would likely only get a front facing camera. But in the demo, they highlight the ability to switch between cameras so that you can show the person on the other end what's happening around you. Based on that, I'd give a back camera 50/50 odds of making onto a future iPad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
As for iPad 2, a truly "second-generation" model that we won't see until 2011?

I have no idea. I'm not sure that Retina Display really makes sense on something already so large and visible. I think it works on the iPhone because, at 3.5", you're constantly having to zoom in to read smaller stuff. It seems this iPhone 4 screen remedies some of that, making the smaller text much sharper.

But is anyone complaining about "hard to read" text on an iPad? To me, that device seems perfectly-sized for its purposes. I don't know...maybe someday, but I don't think Retina Display was intended for that (or the iMac, the notebooks or standalone displays...we use those differently, with our heads farther away and with much more real estate to comfortably work with). I think Retina Display was devised strictly for the iPhone (and iPod touch)...to improve those two particular platforms, due to their small screens and how text and other items are displayed.
I think every display should aspire to the highest resolution possible - iOS devices, full laptops, desktops, and even TV screens. Right now, I imagine that cost will be the biggest barrier to that end on larger devices. It will start on the smaller devices - like the iPhone and iPod Touch, and slowly make it's way onto larger devices. That puts the iPad as the next in line. Will it be next year? I kinda doubt it. Besides cost, the iPad would also need more processing capability, though I'm sure they're hard at work on that right now.

Do you know where children get all of their energy? - They suck it right out of their parents!