View Single Post
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-01-16, 11:20

I was trying to find a good example for you but it's not been as easy as I would expect. The first real issue is that I use a Standard user for my day to day use on my Mac. There is an admin user that I have for times when I need to do things that require admin. Reading the logs is an admin function.

So once I logged into the admin account to look over the logs I soon remembered why I hate combing through logs on macOS/OS X. There is so much clutter and crap logged that finding what you're looking for is just like the needle in a haystack.

I can say that normally you would have a period where the logging during one specific minute is really high. Instead of 10-20 for the minute there might be 100 or more logged that minute. So before that you would see what has logged and what happened right before shutdown/reboot.

This article talks about tracing out after a kernel panic, which might be what's been happening on your Mac. That or running out of memory and crashing.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.