View Single Post
drewprops
Space Pirate

2005-12-10, 10:45

In the 'People' section of my Film-GA.com website I have made a little roll-through gallery of individual bios of people who work in the film industry in Georgia. The gallery works fine. The problem is that I'm lazy. I just made a tab-separated "control" text file for all of the entries and load that into an array. Easy peasy.

It goes:
filename [tab] person's name [tab] department/job [tab] description [cr]

This is great and easy and simple and all, but I've complicated matters by deciding to insert new entries alphabetically. As soon as I do that the numerical assignment for the entries that follow the new entry change.

Bottomline: Ralph sends the URL of his entry to his mom, she checks the next day (after I've added Jenny) and all of a sudden she's seeing Paul's entry instead of her son's.

I have to drive to a wedding today but thought that I'd jam this out here to see if anyone had recommendations as to the best way to fix this. I know that I'll have to write some code that alphabetizes the list for me, which will free me up from having to manage the control file myself.

And in case you suggest mySQL you should know that I'm mySQL illiterate. This list of bios isn't going to be enormous anyway... it's like pulling teeth to get people to give you their info.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter