View Single Post
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2006-07-08, 01:27

I saw the movie tonight and I have to heavily recommend it. Now I know there is still controversy over the issue of global warming, even in the scientific community - but this movie makes one thing very clear: no matter the controversy, we may as well move towards a solution as fast as we can...even if it's a solution to a problem that won't see a doomsday scenario for a long time, we'd be better off erring on the side of caution rather than tampering with catastrophe that WILL happen at some point.

That's the scary thing to me: that the only issue is not whether global warming is real, it's that we don't know the precise time of when catastrophe will occur because of it. It could be 40-50 years, or maybe 150 years until a major problem happens, so why not do whatever it takes to solve the major pollution issues within 20-25? My hope is that we can give ourselves a buffer while not lagging on the issue, but also find a way to keep the economy from faltering during the multi-industry transition period that would be inevitable.

Whether or not you like Al Gore is not the issue. He's just the messenger. Hey may or may not be doing it for more than his own passion on the subject, but that's still all trivial.

I just think of it this way: what better thing could we do, as a developed nation/civilization than put an end to our climate-altering pollution/ways of life?

Since disaster is not an 'if' but a 'when' then we may as well get our asses moving.

Oh yeah, and the movie is pretty good just as a movie too. The use of Gore's PowerBook and Keynote are prominent for MUCH of the movie. Very cool to see that the movie is basically a giant SteveNote...err..GoreNote.

"We are reviewing some 9,000 recent UNHCR referrals from Syria. We are receiving roughly a thousand new ones each month, and we expect admissions from Syria to surge in 2015 and beyond." - Anne C. Richard, Assistant Secretary, Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration