View Single Post
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-07-08, 01:42

Err...

Look, I'm not going to debate the reality or not of global warming, or the reality or not of our effect on it, but to say that even if it isn't real we need to work to stop it is a bit daft in my book...

Just saying. (As a recycling, gas-saving, water-conserving, electricity-miser, pollution-anxious, organic-food-consuming, neohippie, I'm *STILL* saying.)

Reminds me of the South Park episode on global warming. Sheer genius.

If you believe it is real, and that we have the means to stop it because we're the cause, then by all means, work to reverse it. If you don't, then don't. Simple as that. Don't let fear guide your actions, think it through, decide what you believe based on rationality and facts, and act on it.

I'm not 100% convinced that we can do anything at this point, to be honest. Chaotic systems such as weather are nasty beasts. I just hope to hell nobody gets a bright idea to try and actively reverse it at some point. Minimize our impact, and hope for the best, that's all you can reasonably do.

Now if they'd only bothered to get the modeling behind Kyoto to be plausible, this wouldn't even be an issue... working with a bunch of climatologists during the heyday of that was interesting. The advisory group behind the Kyoto protocols took two competing prediction models - and cherry-picked features of each. One predicted hot and dry, the other cold and wet. Somehow they predicted hot and wet as their final assessment. Only one problem - these were interconnected systems of differential equations - you can't *do* that and have it mean anything. None of the climatologists I worked with were willing to support the science, even though they all wanted the US to sign. Bitch of a problem - by fudging the science, Kyoto gave an opening for the naysayers to latch onto. If they'd stuck to models that were scientifically reasonable, they wouldn't have given the opposition a foothold, but they were more concerned about producing the Ultimate Fear Scenario... *shakes head*

Sad.

Now if you'll excuse me, another tall gin and tonic is calling my name.

Last edited by Kickaha : 2006-07-08 at 01:48.