View Single Post
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2006-07-08, 06:50

I think this movie is a terrible idea, as it propagates the bizarre notion currently prevalent in the US that only left-voting hippies care about the environment. Every time the flag-wavers see a film like this they become more entrenched in their stubbornness. It's getting to the point that some people think it's patriotic to drive a 4x4 and not give a damn about the environment. That's a terrible state of affairs!

The Royal Society (incidentally, the oldest learned society still in existence, formed in the 1600s) has an excellent short guide on understanding global warming. You can download the PDF on this page. It explains the position of scientists, and mentions that US oil-funded efforts are among the largest of the anti-Kyoto brigade (the Kyoto Protocol seeks to tackle global warming by reducing greenhouse emissions).

By the way, people who argue against the Kyoto Protocol remind me of people who refuse to give money to homeless people on the street by saying "they have places to go, so I'm not going to help them continue their homeless existence", while of course giving sweet FA to the charities who are supposed to deal with homelessness. The truth is exposed: arguing against Kyoto is an excuse to do nothing at all, just as the homeless reasoning is an excuse to give nothing at all.