View Single Post
markw10
Awaiting Email Confirmation

2007-01-15, 19:08

Thanks for the help. I have looked at other brands but one thing I heard today is that Apple will be including the software with the new airports which unlocks the 'n' in the macs meaning you'd actually have no choice but to get Apple's hardware to use 'n'. I dont' quite understand this and I think it's an awful choice. Maybe the drivers will eventually become available elsewhere.
I didn't realize the speed is close to 100mb anyway for 'n'. By APE I assume you mean the airport base station. My only question. If I connect the gigabit switch to the base station I know it would then bring the internet connection into my network and with the 3MBPS internet speed the 100Mbps isn't a bottleneck but the Airport will be plugged into a Mac Pro acting as a server. If I'm correct I would only have 100Mbps then going into the server, right?
I had the original idea of running the gigabit straight into the Mac Pro but now realize even though it would work fine to access files maybe it wouldn't work with the internet.
Or would it work by of course once again using wi-fi on the Mac Pro with my Airport Base Station, plugging the gigabit switch into the gigabit ethernet port on the Mac Pro and then as well plugging this same gigabit switch into the Airport? Maybe that's what you meant. The more I'm typing the more I'm confusing myself.